Loyal Source Government Services is looking for experienced Registered Nurse in the New York, NY area.
This position is contingent upon award of bid, anticipated in Fall 2021.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Nurses are the largest group of health care providers within IHSC staffed facilities, providing care 24 hours per day. As part of a comprehensive primary care team (nurses, medical providers, dental providers, behavioral health providers, administrative staff), Registered Nurses in IHSC practice in a collaborative environment providing ambulatory, emergency, mental health, and infirmary care. Common activities Registered Nurses carry out include intake screening and physical exams to identify conditions requiring referral or treatment, care for common acute problems via nursing guidelines, nursing rounds for patients in infirmary care and segregated housing, and coordinating the activities of their assigned shift.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Graduate from an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate nursing program for Registered Nurses located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Minimum one year of professional experience as a licensed registered nurse in a hospital, medical office or residential setting.
- Experience in a detention/correctional healthcare setting preferred.
REQURED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
Current, full and unrestricted license as Registered Nurse in the state in which the duty station is located, or a compact state that allows practice in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association®.
Certified Correctional Health Professional, Certified Correctional Health Professional – Registered Nurse, or Certified Corrections Nurse credential preferred, not required.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web-based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and/or competencies.
- Performs sick call, assessing and treating acute problems using nursing protocols and referring patients to an advanced practice provider, physician, behavioral health provider, and/or dentist as appropriate.
- Performs physical examinations using established tools for gathering subjective and objective data, referring patients to a medical provider, dental provider, and/or behavioral health provers as appropriate.
- Provides clinical supervision to Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses and unlicensed assistive personnel, as assigned.
- Administers medications as ordered. Medications may be given via the oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous, topical, ophthalmic, and other enteral and parenteral routes.
- Performs prescreening and intake screening of patients newly arrived at the facility. Uses established intake tools for gathering subjective and objective data, referring abnormal findings or responses to a medical provider, dental provider, and/or behavioral health provers as appropriate.
- Performs various treatments such as wound care, vital sign checks, electrocardiograms, etc. as ordered by a medical provider, dental provider, behavioral health provider, or registered nurse.
- Collects laboratory specimens and performs point-of-care testing or prepares specimens for laboratory processing. Takes appropriate action on lab results received.
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders emergency care to stabilize patient and prevent deterioration, and transfers patient to appropriate level of care.
- May be required to participate in involuntary, court-ordered care.
DUTY HOURS/ ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
This position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts; availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
On-call availability is not required for this position.
The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking or jogging unaided over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy patients or equipment.
The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as agility and dexterity, visual, and hearing capabilities.
Must be able to respond to any medical emergency in the facility, via foot, within four minutes and perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
Must have the ability to assist sick, injured, or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency.
Loyal Source is an Orlando-based workforce solutions provider dedicated to delivering elite services worldwide. With a focus in government healthcare, technical and support services, engineering, and travel healthcare, Loyal Source provides exceptional custom solutions to both private enterprise and government agencies. Loyal Source is a military friendly employers and proud partner of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program.
For more information go to our website www.loyalsource.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter for other positions currently open.
Loyal Source does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor
This contractor and subcontractor abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Apply with Github Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed