Interviews are nerve-racking. But the more prepared you are, the less stressed you’ll be.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you get through the process smoothly.
1. Make sure that your résumé is up to date, complete and easy to read. If you are interviewing for the position in person, make sure you have copies of any relevant certifications or licenses on hand.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Talk about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker.
- What’s your biggest weakness?
- What’s your biggest strength?
- Why do you want to work here?
- Why did you leave your last position?
2. Practice your answers to common interview questions. If you rehearse your answer to these questions when you go to interview you will sound prepared, polished, and professional.
3. Always dress professionally, no matter what industry you are interviewing in. It is always better to overdress and will leave a good impression.
4. Be aware you are being interviewed because there is a vacancy or problem. Ask questions and give answers that show you want to be a part of their solution.
5. Send a thank you note. Thank the interviewer for their time and consideration. This confirms your interest and sets you apart from other candidates.
There are many factors that come in to play when applying and securing an interview for a job. You will feel more confident with some practice and a plan.